In the News
- Survey finds racial gaps in Detroit nonprofit leadership: What that means (Detroit Free Press, January 18, 2022)
- At least $3M in grants available to nonprofits in Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park (Model D Media, December 7, 2021)
- Co-creating a New World with Nonprofits (Fortune, Forbes and Entrepreneur Magazines, October – November 2021)
- Co.act picks initial cohort of nonprofits for earned revenue accelerator program (Crain’s Detroit Business, March 29, 2021)
- Survey aims to collect racial demographics on leadership, staff of Detroit nonprofits (Crain’s Detroit Business, February 13, 2021)
- Co.act Detroit’s Earned Revenue Accelerator aims to give nonprofits a boost (Metromode, February 2, 2021)
- Co.act Detroit launches pilot to help nonprofits grow earned revenue (Crain’s Detroit Business, January 22, 2021)
- For nonprofits, tough times call for tough conversations (Crain’s Detroit Business, October 18, 2020)
- Corporate volunteerism still down for nonprofits needing hands-on help but skilled, virtual help on rise (Crain’s Detroit Business: September 8, 2020)
- COVID-19 Update: “Revolutionize” in Detroit Launched, GM and Detroit Regional Chamber Launch Annual NeighborHUB Grant Program, and More (DBusiness: August 13, 2020)
- Co.act Detroit awards $1.4 million in pilot round of funding (Crain’s Detroit Business: July 25, 2020)
- Leading in solidarity to reshape the nonprofit ecosystem (PhilanTopic Blog: July 1, 2020)
- Southeast Michigan’s nonprofit leaders navigate grief, racism through collaboration (Model D; June 25, 2020)
- Introducing the Nonprofit Journal Project (Model D: June 2, 2020)
- How Local Touches Create a Sense of Place in an Office (Buildings.com: April 20, 2020)
- Resources for nonprofits in the COVID-19 crisis (Crain’s Detroit Business: April 8, 2020)
- American Black Journal: Activate Fund (PBS American Black Journal: March 6, 2020)
- How Co.Act Detroit Is Amplifying The Voices of Local Nonprofits (HOUR Detroit: November 8, 2019)
- Wilson foundation balances lasting, immediate impact as clock ticks on $2 billion spend down (Crain’s Detroit Business: October 19, 2019)
- Community Campus Visit helps Detroit community engage with U-M (University of Michigan: October 18, 2019)
- American Black Journal: Non-Profit Leaders of Color (PBS American Black Journal: August 30, 2019)
- Knight Foundation commits $714,000 to expanding capacity-building program for Detroit nonprofits (Crain’s Detroit: August 19, 2019)
- Nonprofit support hub opens in New Center (Curbed Detroit: July 2, 2019)
- $1.5 million grant from Wilson Foundation to seed new nonprofit capacity-building fund (Crain’s Detroit Business: June 26, 2019)
- Co.act Detroit Launches New Space and Programs in New Center (Co.act Detroit: June 26, 2019)
- Listening and Evolving: How a Community Foundation put Racial Equity at the Center of Its Work (Inside Philanthropy: April 2, 2019)
- Power of the purse: report finds women lead in giving and deserve more focus in fundraising (Inside Philanthropy: March 21, 2019)
- Nonprofit organizations receive pro bono advice (Legal News.com: January 30, 2019)
- First of its kind nonprofit support center gets into gear (Crain’s Detroit Business: December 9, 2018)
- Collaboration and entrepreneurship: Detroit’s most innovative nonprofits (metromode, Metro Detroit: November 6, 2014)
Case studies, stories of dynamic partnerships, best (and next) practices and trends in the social sector we are watching.
Co.act Detroit Blog
Check out our regular postings on transformational partnerships, initiatives and organizations getting our attention in the Detroit region and beyond. Regular blogs may be from Co.act staff or guest contributors.
Over the past two and a half years of Co.act Detroit, our team has come to understand quite intimately the mantra, attributed to Mariame Kaba, that "nothing that we do that is worthwhile is done alone.” And though we were launched with the understanding that the...
In June 2021, Co.act Detroit and Community Development Advocates for Detroit (CDAD) awarded nearly $300,000 in funding to 53 organizations for costs related to pandemic-related critical response services. McGregor Fund and the Hudson-Webber Foundation supported the...
Co.act Detroit to Join the Kresge Foundation and Michigan Community Resources for Kresge Innovative Projects: Detroit Round 7
Save the date: KIP:D is back! We are thrilled to announce that, starting this fall, The Kresge Foundation and Michigan Community Resources (MCR) have invited Co.act Detroit to administer the Kresge Innovative Projects: Detroit (KIP:D) grant program. Michigan Community...
Compelling conversations about the challenges and opportunities impacting the nonprofit sector in Detroit and SE Michigan.
Latest Episode Apr 18, 2022 Mental health days. 4-day work weeks. Meeting-free Fridays. If these seem like foreign concepts to you, you’re in the right place. This month, we speak to three social impact and nonprofit leaders about creating a culture of wellness at work. Through flexibility, trust, and compassion these organizations are showing us how to transition from surviving to thriving.
Spring Opara, Project Director at CompassPoint
Noah Urban, Senior Analyst and Project Lead at Data Driven Detroit
Trina Groce, Human Resources Director at TechTown Detroit
NC #7 - Work Well
Apr 18, 2022
Mental health days. 4-day work weeks. Meeting-free Fridays. If these seem like foreign concepts to you, you’re in the right place. This month, we speak to three social impact and nonprofit leaders about creating a culture of wellness at work. Through flexibility, trust, and compassion these organizations are showing us how to transition from surviving to thriving. Guests: Spring Opara, Project Director at CompassPoint Noah Urban, Senior Analyst and Project Lead at Data Driven Detroit Trina Groce, Human Resources Director at TechTown Detroit