In the News
- 9 Detroit-area nonprofit leaders awarded sabbatical fellowship (Crain’s Detroit Business, February 16, 2023)
- Allandra Bulger: Notable Women in Nonprofits 2022 (Crain’s Detroit Business, December 4, 2022)
- $1.3 million in grants fund 28 community-based projects in Detroit, Highland Park and Hamtramck through KIP:D+ (The Kresge Foundation, June 23, 2022)
- Survey of Michigan’s nonprofit leadership to assess organizations’ diversity, needs (Crain’s Detroit Business, January 22, 2022)
- Survey finds racial gaps in Detroit nonprofit leadership: What that means (Detroit Free Press, January 18, 2022)
- At least $3M in grants available to nonprofits in Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park (Model D Media, December 7, 2021)
- Co-creating a New World with Nonprofits (Fortune, Forbes and Entrepreneur Magazines, October – November 2021)
- What will the future look like for Southeast Michigan’s nonprofits? (Second Wave Media Michigan, August 11, 2021)
- Co.act picks initial cohort of nonprofits for earned revenue accelerator program (Crain’s Detroit Business, March 29, 2021)
- Survey aims to collect racial demographics on leadership, staff of Detroit nonprofits (Crain’s Detroit Business, February 13, 2021)
- Co.act Detroit’s Earned Revenue Accelerator aims to give nonprofits a boost (Metromode, February 2, 2021)
- Co.act Detroit launches pilot to help nonprofits grow earned revenue (Crain’s Detroit Business, January 22, 2021)
- For nonprofits, tough times call for tough conversations (Crain’s Detroit Business, October 18, 2020)
- Corporate volunteerism still down for nonprofits needing hands-on help but skilled, virtual help on rise (Crain’s Detroit Business: September 8, 2020)
- COVID-19 Update: “Revolutionize” in Detroit Launched, GM and Detroit Regional Chamber Launch Annual NeighborHUB Grant Program, and More (DBusiness: August 13, 2020)
- Co.act Detroit awards $1.4 million in pilot round of funding (Crain’s Detroit Business: July 25, 2020)
- Leading in solidarity to reshape the nonprofit ecosystem (PhilanTopic Blog: July 1, 2020)
- Southeast Michigan’s nonprofit leaders navigate grief, racism through collaboration (Model D; June 25, 2020)
- Introducing the Nonprofit Journal Project (Model D: June 2, 2020)
- How Local Touches Create a Sense of Place in an Office (Buildings.com: April 20, 2020)
- Resources for nonprofits in the COVID-19 crisis (Crain’s Detroit Business: April 8, 2020)
- American Black Journal: Activate Fund (PBS American Black Journal: March 6, 2020)
- How Co.Act Detroit Is Amplifying The Voices of Local Nonprofits (HOUR Detroit: November 8, 2019)
- Wilson foundation balances lasting, immediate impact as clock ticks on $2 billion spend down (Crain’s Detroit Business: October 19, 2019)
- Community Campus Visit helps Detroit community engage with U-M (University of Michigan: October 18, 2019)
- American Black Journal: Non-Profit Leaders of Color (PBS American Black Journal: August 30, 2019)
- Knight Foundation commits $714,000 to expanding capacity-building program for Detroit nonprofits (Crain’s Detroit: August 19, 2019)
- Nonprofit support hub opens in New Center (Curbed Detroit: July 2, 2019)
- $1.5 million grant from Wilson Foundation to seed new nonprofit capacity-building fund (Crain’s Detroit Business: June 26, 2019)
- Co.act Detroit Launches New Space and Programs in New Center (Co.act Detroit: June 26, 2019)
- Listening and Evolving: How a Community Foundation put Racial Equity at the Center of Its Work (Inside Philanthropy: April 2, 2019)
- Power of the purse: report finds women lead in giving and deserve more focus in fundraising (Inside Philanthropy: March 21, 2019)
- Nonprofit organizations receive pro bono advice (Legal News.com: January 30, 2019)
- First of its kind nonprofit support center gets into gear (Crain’s Detroit Business: December 9, 2018)
- Collaboration and entrepreneurship: Detroit’s most innovative nonprofits (metromode, Metro Detroit: November 6, 2014)
Case studies, stories of dynamic partnerships, best (and next) practices and trends in the social sector we are watching.
Co.act Detroit Blog
Check out our regular postings on transformational partnerships, initiatives and organizations getting our attention in the Detroit region and beyond. Regular blogs may be from Co.act staff or guest contributors.
Meet the Co.act Team: Charnae Sanders
Charnae Sanders Program Manager What have you been working on and/or thinking about lately? I have been working on numerous programs and reflecting on next steps of programs that wrapped up toward the end of 2022. One of the programs I have been spending creative...
Meet the Co.act Team: Kyla Carlsen
Kyla Carlsen Senior Director of Program Strategy & Innovation Which programs are you most excited about launching in 2023? We have some big milestones coming up this year. Building on our lessons learned over the past three years around equitable grant-making,...
Co.act Detroit Receives Unrestricted Funding from McGregor Fund
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CO.ACT DETROIT RECEIVES UNRESTRICTED FUNDING FROM MCGREGOR FUND DETROIT, MI, August 22, 2022 — Co.act Detroit announces a $300,000, multi-year grant from McGregor Fund. The unrestricted award will be deployed over three years to support Co.act’s...
Compelling conversations about the challenges and opportunities impacting the nonprofit sector in Detroit and SE Michigan.
Latest Episode Apr 06, 2023 In 2019, Detroit was considered to be the least connected city in the United States. Natural Collisions guests discuss the connectivity challenges in Detroit, and how all sectors are joining forces to lessen the digital divide.
Myka Burley, Program Manager on the Education & Employment team at Rocket Community Fund
Autumn Evans, Deputy Director, Digital Inclusion & Equity at the City of Detroit
NC #11 - Digital Inclusion
Apr 06, 2023
In 2019, Detroit was considered to be the least connected city in the United States. Natural Collisions guests discuss the connectivity challenges in Detroit, and how all sectors are joining forces to lessen the digital divide. GUESTS: Myka Burley, Program Manager on the Education & Employment team at Rocket Community Fund Autumn Evans, Deputy Director, Digital Inclusion & Equity at the City of Detroit